User Tag List

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Savana Production To Be Outsourced

In an effort to free up production space in their own factories for the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon pickup trucks, General Motors will be outsourcing the production of both the Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vans to Navistar in 2017.

Originally built at GM’s plant in Wentzville, Mo., the Savana’s production will be moved to Navistar International Corp’s Springfield, Ohio, plant starting in the first half of 2017. Initially, GM was trying to strike a deal with AM General LLC, a company that produces military vehicles among other things, but they couldn’t agree on the contract terms so they moved on to Navistar.

While sales numbers of both the Express and Savana are by no means low, 36,639 units in the first five months of the year, Colorados and Canyons are just more popular with GM dealers consistently asking for more pickup units. With the low gas prices, light truck sales have been soaring and since they’re currently GM’s most profitable vehicles it makes sense for the company to free up a bit of space in their own plants to produce around 40,000 more additional Colorados and Canyons in 2017.

Some may worry that with the Savana’s production being moved to another factory, we could be seeing a reduction in quality. Well, there shouldn’t be much to fear since Navistar produces international brand military vehicles, while no in the same factory as the Savana, we can probably assume that similar attention to quality and detail can be found in their Ohio plant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
This article is misleading.

You say Express and Savana vans will be produced by Navistar in 2017 making it seem as if ALL version of the Express and Savana will be produced by them, but that's wrong, it's just the cutaway versions.

Thankfully I did my own research, never depend on a single source.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Since this is the cutaway version, this doesn't really affect those of us looking for a van but I wouldn't really mind if Navistar really did produce the full savana and Express lineup is they have a reputation for quality.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
Since this is the cutaway version, this doesn't really affect those of us looking for a van but I wouldn't really mind if Navistar really did produce the full savana and Express lineup is they have a reputation for quality.
The regular Savana/Express is high enough in volume for GM to continue building it using their own resources. So as long as that volume is around, GM will keep building it themselves.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So far they've sold 12,200 Savana's in the U.S. alone so I guess that's a large enough volume for GMC to keep producing them.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:20 PM

It is indeed especially when you consider how long its been in production for and how little it has changed. Some car makers justify producing cars with half that production volume. Plus i'm sure we can find a lot of things it shares with other GM products, which makes even more sense.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page