GMC Savana/Chevrolet Express Real-World Gas Mileage Thread - GMC Savana Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
GMC Savana/Chevrolet Express Real-World Gas Mileage Thread

What is real-world gas mileage like for your model of GMC Savana/Chevrolet Express?

Make sure to include anything that might factor into how good or bad your gas mileage/MPG rating is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2005 1500 with 4.3 /auto. 165K miles

Fast, slow, loaded, unloaded and towing - it alway got about 12.5 mpg when I first got it at 159K miles.

For non-mpg reasons I replaced the distributor, the spark plugs, and changed to 5/30 Mobil 1 oil.

I also rebuilt the rear and replaced the front wheel bearing assemblies.

On the way to Florida recently - driving as fast as I could (the rev limiter cuts out at 96 mph) I got 23.4 mpg, 24.3 mpg, and 23.3 mpg. If I hadn't been there I would not have believed it. <g>

And around town in FL - it still gets over 20 mpg. How is it possible? Same tires, same driver, pumping the tank full and hand calculating the mpg. And about the same working duties - but the mpg doubled? <g>

PHM
---------

Quote:
Originally Posted by keys View Post
What is real-world gas mileage like for your model of GMC Savana/Chevrolet Express?

Make sure to include anything that might factor into how good or bad your gas mileage/MPG rating is.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2021, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been wondering what should be a realistic MPG expectation out of my Van. I found this thread but its not as complete as I had hoped it would be. I am curious about "general" fuel mileage as well.

I have a 2000 Chevy Express 3500 with a 5.7l and a 4l80e. I've been consistently getting 11MPG city and highway, city or highway, loaded, unloaded, ac on, ac off, bad old tires, good new tires doesn't matter. I have even pulled the mechanical fan and installed electric fans hoping that may find an MPG or at least a fraction of one. No such luck. The fan clutch was failing otherwise it would still be the same.

I wonder if my spider injection is beginning to fail but I don't ever have starting issues not boiling hot (been there done that) nor a NC summer cold.

I have done some research and it seems with my engine, trans, chassis that 11MPG is about what she's going to get.

I would love to one day see the teens in the old girl...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page